Divorce Attorneys in Greensboro

What is an absolute (simple) divorce? 

An absolute divorce, once ordered, officially terminates a legal marriage and allows for the parties to remarry if they choose to do so. An absolute divorce alone does not address ancillary issues related to the termination of a marriage such as child custody, child support, division of property, or spousal support. Our Divorce Attorneys are here for you, contact our law firm today if you are in need of legal help with your absolute divorce.

When can I get an absolute divorce? 

In North Carolina, married persons must be living separate and apart from one another with the intent of at least one spouse to end the marital relationship for more than one year before either may file for an absolute divorce. An experienced Greensboro divorce attorney at our law firm can assist you with the steps necessary for your divorce.

What if my spouse has moved out of the bedroom, but not out of the house? 

In North Carolina, a spouse simply moving out of the marital bedroom but continuing to reside in the marital residence is not sufficient to establish that the parties are living separate and apart for the purpose of an absolute divorce.

How long will it take to get divorced? 

In North Carolina, an absolute divorce action follows the rules of civil procedure. Typically, our clients seeking an absolute divorced alone can get divorced within six to eight weeks. If both parties are seeking speedy closure to the marriage, it is possible to speed the process along. However, it may take longer if there are complicating factors, such as the location of one spouse being unknown. If you have further questions on this issue, our Greensboro divorce lawyers are here to answer your questions and help you with your divorce. 

Will I have to go to court for my Divorce? 

Generally, no. Often, our clients will only need to have one meeting at our office during the entirety of the process. However, complicating factors may exist for certain individuals. We recommend that you speak with one of our divorce attorneys so that he or she can evaluate your circumstances individually and counsel you on what to expect. 

Can I go back to using my maiden name with my Divorce?

Yes. In petitioning the Court for an absolute divorce, you may also ask for the Court to order that you be allowed to resume your maiden name. The Court typically allows a party to resume her maiden name for a nominal additional fee. 

If you have further questions, or would like assistance in obtaining an absolute divorce, please reach out to one of our experienced Greensboro divorce attorneys for a consultation at (336) 379-0539 or contact us online

Garrett, Walker, Aycoth & Olson is located at 317 S. Greene St, Greensboro, NC 27401. Our phone number is 336-379-0539. Call us today and see the difference. Our Greensboro divorce attorneys are here for you!

lawyer, greensboro lawyer

Garrett, Walker, Aycoth & Olson
317 S. Greene St, Greensboro, NC 27401

Monday – 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Tuesday – 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Wednesday – 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Thursday – 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Friday – 8:00 AM – 5:15 PM

[saswp-reviews-collection id=”69885″]