Can a Greensboro DWI Lawyer Expunge a DWI?

Can A Greensboro Family Law Attorney Explain What A 50-B Protective Order Does?

In Family by Greensboro Attorney

Can a Greensboro family law attorney explain what a 50-B protective order does? Yes, of course! People often refer to this as a restraining order, but it is technically called a Domestic Violence Protective Order. If you or your child has been a victim of abuse and you are seeking help, this could be the best option for you. If you have further questions about 50-B protective orders, you should not hesitate to get help by speaking with a Greensboro family law attorney today!

50-B protective orders are fairly quick to obtain due to the violent nature associated with the need for one. Generally, the court will order that the abuser stop threatening, harassing, stalking, or bother the victim in any other way. Most of these orders can require that the abuser even stay a certain distance away from the victim, their place of living, and their work location. Depending of the specific situation, the order can also require the abuser to be a certain distance from the child’s school or daycare. If it’s an emergency situation, the court can enter an Ex-Parte order which is a valid temporary restraining order than can be issued without the abuser present. This will be temporary, and the court requires a hearing within ten days of issuing the Ex-Parte restraining order. If a judge finds that a restraining order is necessary, they will enter a Domestic Violence Restraining Order that is valid for up to one year. It’s possible that the order can address custody issues of children, but that arrangement is temporary and will also require separate actions to fully resolve the issues. For more information on the process of receiving a 50-B protective order, feel free to contact a Greensboro family law attorney!

If you or your child has been a victim of domestic abuse, you should speak with a Greensboro family law attorney about acquiring a 50-B protective order to ensure your safety. The family law attorneys at Garrett, Walker, Aycoth, and Olson know the requirements of the law and genuinely care about each case presented to them by their clients. Call today at 336-379-0539; we are here to help!