heart black

Can A Greensboro Divorce Attorney Explain How to Get Alimony Changed?

In Uncategorized by Greensboro Attorney

Can a Greensboro divorce attorney explain how to get alimony changed? Absolutely!

So, you’ve been through a divorce sometime in the past and the judge has ordered that you pay your spouse alimony to help supplement their income and keep the quality of life that you had established during the marriage. Now, something has happened since then that either prevents you from being able to pay alimony, or your spouse is no longer in need of that income.

What can you do to get this changed? Seeking a Greensboro divorce attorney who understands the specifics of your case is essential to getting your alimony changed.

For a change in alimony, the court must find that there has been a substantial change for either party.

The burden of proof for proving this substantial change will be on the moving party. That is, if you’re the only trying to get it changed, it’s your burden to prove. Lastly, this change must have been one that was unforeseen at the time the judge ordered the payment of alimony in the first place. Thus, the change could not be due to anything that was previously discussed or thought of in the initial hearing. Sometimes proving this can be easy. If the spouse receiving alimony has since remarried, or is cohabiting with someone else, the court will usually terminate alimony obligations. To prove that two people are cohabiting, you can look at whether they live together physically, if they both pay bills, or if they share their income with each other. These are all signs that alimony should be terminated.  For specific questions, consult with a Greensboro alimony lawyer!

Another common reason people seek change in alimony is loss of income. The court will usually honor the change as long as it meets statutory requirements and the loss did not result of bad faith.

For example, if one spouse intentionally quit their job or was fired due to carelessness or lack of trying, loss of income could have resulted in bad faith and alimony modification may not be appropriate. Most of these situations are very fact-specific, so it’s important to speak with a Greensboro alimony lawyer before making final decisions.

For more information and exceptions to getting alimony changed, you should contact a Greensboro divorce attorney today. The Greensboro divorce lawyers at Garrett, Walker, Aycoth, and Olson know the requirements of the law and also genuinely care about each case presented to them. Call today at (336) 379-0539; we are here to help!